EPCs and DECs

Assess. Certify. Display.

Do you have the right energy efficiency certificate for your property? 

Energy Performance Certificates

Energy Performance Certificates (EPCs) are needed whenever a property is built, sold or rented. They show how energy efficient the building is and give it a rating from A (most efficient) to G (least efficient). They also include information about the property’s typical energy use, heating and lighting costs, and carbon emissions; together with recommendations for improving energy efficiency, and what the rating could be if the recommended improvements were made.

An EPC certificate is valid for 10 years and to get one, you’ll need an accredited EPC assessor to assess and certify your property.

We’re here to help

Our experienced EPC assessors provide EPC certificates for a wide range of commercial, industrial and residential buildings. We assess and certify buildings at all stages of development, working from proposed designs for new developments, and our surveys of existing properties.

Get in touch to find out more about our EPC service

Display Energy Certificates

Display Energy Certificates (DECs) are needed to show the energy performance of public buildings (or public parts of a building) over 250 square metres (sqm), including your actual energy use and carbon emissions compared to benchmark data for similar building types. Buildings are given a rating from A (most energy efficient) to G (least energy efficient).

Public organisations, such as local councils, leisure centres, colleges and NHS Trusts, must display their DEC where it can be clearly seen by the public, or face a potential fine. DEC certificates are optional for private organisations, but you’ll still need an EPC certificate to sell or rent a private building.

A DEC certificate is valid for 10 years for buildings with a total useful floor area between 250 sqm and 1,000 sqm. For buildings with a total useful floor area over 1,000 sqm, DEC certificates are only valid for 1 year. To get a DEC, you’ll need an accredited DEC assessor to assess and certify your building.

We’re here to help

We have extensive experience of providing DECs for individual buildings and building portfolios of all sizes, including schools and other restricted-access environments. We work closely with a range of public organisations such as local councils, NHS Trusts, government departments and universities, as well as commercial building owners and managers.

Our DEC service includes carrying out site investigations and providing advisory reports and individual energy audits.

Get in touch to find out more about our DEC service

NEW: Minimum Energy Efficiency Standard (MEES) for landlords

From 1 April 2023, all leased or part-leased commercial buildings will need to have a MEES compliant EPC or be listed on the exemption register.

Commercial buildings must have an EPC rating of at least E, before a lease can be issued or renewed. Non-compliance can result in fines, unless your property is exempt. For example, because it’s a listed building.

We’re here to help

We provide expert guidance on how to improve your EPC and achieve MEES compliance. In addition, we can also support and evidence your application for exemption.

Enquire About This Service


Related Services

Energy Management

View Service

Latest News

Featured Article

Ensuring Safe Water Quality

Posted: 06.06.2024

Read Article

Get In Touch

Email: enquiries@genex.co.uk
Call: 0800 260 5935